Saturday, January 1, 2011

1-1-11

Happy New Year! There has to be something very close to perfect in the number 1-1-11!!
Another 365 days lie before us, fresh, unspoiled, ready to be written on like the crisp pages of an empty journal.
I began this year by visiting with my dear parents. Over 80, they are still of able body, mind and spirit. We engaged in lively conversation about Scriptural references, debating some theological points and "agreeing to disagree" on a few issues. We shared family news items and also some of our hopes for 2011. It was a good way to start the year.
In order to make that visit, Jon had to stay home with the 3 little ones in our care. When I left the house, it was a chaotic mess of toys and toy parts from one end to the other. I truly was wondering whether I could walk out of that mess and leave it for later times.
To my wonder and surprise, when I got home the house was toy-free (on the surface at least) as Jon had purchased 3 large storage bins, one for each child, and everything was picked up and organized. Yeah!! He definitely had some help from Beth who came by while I was gone. What a wonderful New Years gift!
One of my 2011 goals is to de-clutter my life to make it more manageable. With the passing years I have collected more and more "things". I am a little bit of a hoarder, I'm afraid. So to truly get that fresh, clean start to 2011, I have resolved to either throw away or give away one thing every day in January. I am not making a rash statement such as "I am going to do this every day this year"....I am going to start with January and see where it lands me.
So, 2011, here I am, broom in hand. Sweeping out the old!

No comments: