Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Truth, Part 2



THE DRESS. The search for the perfect dress. Now that the wedding is over, all can be revealed.
If you read my previous post, you know Bethany tried on (due to my love of all things wedding) MANY dresses over the years. To say hundreds would be exaggerating; but not by much.
She has tried on ballgowns, strapless, trumpet, mermaid, slinky, poufy, off-white, pure white, ecru, lacey, fru-fru gowns. The purchase of her beautiful eyelet embroidered silk organza sweep train gown is a story that can finally be told.
Ten months before Bethany was engaged, I was having breakfast with my dear friend Cyndi and afterwards we went shopping. We went shopping at Goodwill in Wexford. Much to my surprise, they had many wedding gowns in the store, with original tags still on them. I went through them one by one.....looking to see if anything just might scream "Bethany" to me.
They all were too formal, too poufy, to not-Beth.
But on the way out the door, Cyndi spotted a round of dresses that had this one simple, halter-style dress that yes, was a Watters and Watters wedding gown. I looked at the size and thought , "This might work." I looked at the price and said SOLD.
I took the dress to the cashier and said, "What is the deal with these bridal gowns?" She preceded to tell me that the bridal store down the street was getting rid of old (but never worn) merchandise to make room for new.
My thought? Who cares if she likes it or not, she can cut it off to wear to a rehearsal dinner, a shower, whatever.
I also purchased two summer skirts for my daughter.
As I left the store, I texted Bethany and said, "I bought you two summer skirts today.....and a wedding gown". She texted back, "I will be right over."
She tried on the wedding gown, modeled it for me, and said THIS IS MY DRESS.
So until she had that ring put on her finger, we had her wedding dress hanging in the wardrobe in her old bedroom at my house.
It was our secret.
She looked beautiful in the gown......got so many compliments on it, and was told it fit her personality to a T. We both knew it was a special gift from God.
Oh, the price?
TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS.
Her beauty in it? PRICELESS.


2 comments:

B.W. said...

LOVE IT!!!! and the retail price- 900!!!

L said...

chills...