Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Truth


So, most who know me won't be surprised that I have been planning Bethany's wedding for years....perhaps more than a decade : )
I have been enamored for A LONG TIME with all things wedding. Gauzy, flowing, white material just mesmerizes me, I admit it! I cannot pass a bridal store without at least window shopping but most times, entering and drooling. I have said countless times to owners of said boutiques, "let me know when you want to retire or need help".
And yes, I have dragged my daughter into this obsession of mine. Ever since she's looked "marrying age" , I have twisted my diamond off my finger and shoved it onto hers to play-act that we truly had a legit reason to be in the store and have her try on gowns and discuss wedding details. Often we did not get our stories straight (groom's names, date of wedding) Yes, some embarassing moments occurred....but worth it to me!!
When the day came that I could begin FOR REAL, I dove right in! Wedding planning to me is a joy. And planning my daughter's wedding, double joy.
I should say PLAN THE RECEPTION. Bethany reminded me when I put my 2 cents in about the ceremony, it was her and brad getting married, not her and I. (smile) She was right! And they did a beautiful job of putting together a meaningful service.
Since Brad and Beth do a mission trip to Honduras twice a year, they wanted their celebration to reflect their love of all things Latin. (Read about their ministry here: www.dreambighonduras.com) She picked the colors --watermelon and orange--and I was off!
I read so many wedding blogs and perused so many wedding websites that my eyes began to resemble raw hamburgers! I got lots of ideas, saved a lot of pictures, and let my imagination run wild.
One thing Bethany is not is traditional in style~ she marches to the beat of her own drummer--so we knew we didn't want elegant, pastel, or formal. We wanted bright, fun, and something that shouted C E L E B R A T E.
Some of my favorite elements:
  • fuschia pink Mexican banners made out of thin tissue~ these were hung from the cake/cupcake table, the gift table, and the cookie/candy bar table.
  • small chalkboards , frames stamped with "Mr & Mrs" or "Love", with a Spanish word or phrase on them: "Dulce" on the cookie table (translated 'sweet'); "Gracias Amigos" on the gift table.
  • Mexican soda in orange, deep pink, and yellow as favors on the tables for each guest
  • THE CANDY BUFFET IN ORANGE AND PINK COLORS!
Bethany and Brad danced the night away with laughter amid family and friends. They say it was the best day of their lives. What more could a mom (aka wedding planner wannabe) ask for?

No comments: